Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Ultrasound

I had my first ultrasound last week. I was so excited about it! I actually didn't know I was having it until the day it happened. Once again, I am frustrated with my doctors' office but I'm trying to just deal with it. This is the ultrasound that determines if our baby has Down Syndrome. The assistant at my doctors' office told me the Maternal Fetal Unit would contact me so I told her to be sure to have them call my cell number because I'm rarely home and only check my messages about once a week. She said she made a special note of it. I never got a call on my cell but of course, when I eventually checked my home phone messages, it was the last one on there. And of course, when I called them back, they said I had to get in right away because this test has to be done before I get to 14 weeks. There was no other time that would work with my work schedule before that time so I took an appointment for that day. That meant that Wendel couldn't be there with me, which was sad, but at least I got in in time.

Ultrasounds are amazing! Seeing an image of our baby appear on the screen was incredible. I was surprised by how much I loved it. The tech I had wasn't too enthusiastic or talkative but I decided to just be excited by myself anyway. The baby raised his/her arm up and then brought it down to his/her face and it looked like he/she was sucking on his/her thumb. He/she also extended and bended his/her legs and seemed pretty active the whole time. (I can't wait until we know the sex so I can just say he or she.) They are 85% sure that the baby doesn't have Down Syndrome. Here are some scans of Baby Schultz at 12 weeks and 5 days:


The ultrasound made this baby seem a little more real to me - even more so than hearing the heartbeat.

Other than that, I am still really, really tired but very happy.

2 comments:

  1. the profile of the face is amazing. its hard to believe its only 12.5 weeks and looks so developed. love the nose and mouth...soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ashley, how beautiful. :) I love ultrasounds. Just imagine...not too long from now you'll be able to feel all that movement!

    ReplyDelete