Monday, August 31, 2009

The heartbeat

We got to hear the heartbeat on Wednesday! It almost didn't happen...my doctor's office called to cancel because my doctor got paged to deliver a baby. Wendel and I had both left work early for this appointment and we were almost there when I got the call so I asked the receptionist if there was any way the assistant or a nurse or someone else could let us hear the heartbeat. She said she would check and call me back. She finally did and said we could come and the doctor would even still be there if we hurried. What annoyed me (and maybe this is just because many things annoy me these days) was that they again didn't know why I was there, they had lost my paperwork or shredded it (so we had to start all over and they still only got half way through) and when I called a few days before the appointment to make sure it was okay that Wendel come to hear the heartbeat, the receptionist told me she didn't know if it was possible to hear the heartbeat at 12 weeks. "I don't know how far along you have to be...but if the doctor told you that you could hear it, I guess you can." Is this an OBGYN office or not? What?!? But it's okay, we finally got in there and my doctor came in and let us hear the heartbeat. It took a while for her to find it, which scared me a little, but she finally did and it was amazing. It's just nice to have that confirmation that there really is a little life forming inside of me.

Wendel recorded the heartbeat on his phone. The two loud noises in the beginning are me laughing (I don't remember why). We are talking a bit, which is kind of distracting but you get the idea.


And here is a picture of me at the end of my first trimester. Yay, I made it the first 12 weeks!

3 comments:

  1. this office sounds very frustrating. i know you like your dr. but i must tell you from experience if your frustrated early on, it more than likely won't get better, maybe even worse and now's the time to find someone else, while your still early in your pregnancy. i had frunstrations with both my docs (its hard to find just the right one) and the first one i changed, then recently, i didn't, we just "got through it" and i have no regrets but it may have been nice (and less stressful after all being pregnant adds stress by itself) to know that i could have had a situation i trusted more in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. by "no regrets" i mean overall things were OK but there definately was some health problems i had that could have been prevented if i had followed my instincts and changed to a doc who i felt was more attentive. i believe she got lazy with me b/c i had already had 3 healthy pregnancies but i really felt that each pregnancy should be treated equally. with your doc being a "family doc" that could be a huge part of what's complicating things because they (not just the dr.) deal with so many other issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendel can go to any appt. he wants to. That's annoying about the doctor's office. You know I love Dr. Herner but have had frustrating experiences with things there, too. I say give it one more appt. and if there's anything that bugs you switch doctors? The thing about the doctor's office is: the receptionists aren't nurses so they don't know anything. They fool you because they're wearing scrubs. I've found the staff to be very competent and organized, BUT there is one new person there who just started a month ago and she doesn't know ANYthing. I bet that's who you've been getting! :)

    I'm glad you heard a healthy heart-beat in there! Congrats for making it throught the first trimester. You look soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete